Tuesday, January 27, 2009

This comes from David Ryan at the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum -

Gerry was one of the first people that I met in Colorado Springs.  I had just started working for the Pioneers Museum and Gerry was working for the Fine Arts Center.  It was good to meet another museum person and it began a long and wonderful friendship.  Gerry was good at what he did at the FAC but you could tell that it didn’t challenge him enough.  When the head job came open at the UCCS Gallery it seemed that it was meant just for Gerry.

Over the years, Gerry guided and mentored many students who have gone on to bigger and better things.  Several students were sent my way by Gerry to work as work-study students at the Pioneers Museum and some have become lifelong friends.  One is Jonathan Sanchez who now lives and paints in Switzerland.  Dani Gliddon (Greer) is another who farms and creates wonderful art along with her husband Michael out on the high plains in Flagler.

Gerry was my mentor as well.  When I entered the MLS/me program at the University of Oklahoma, I found out that Gerry was a graduate of the same program.  He helped me keep going through some bleak times when I was ready to give it up.  When I wanted to do my thesis on how homophobia prevented Colorado Springs from becoming an art colony like Taos and Santa Fe, Gerry convinced me that I needed to tackle something more expedient.  I ended up doing it on the history of the Pioneers Museum.  At his suggestion, the other topic will be a project for the future.

Some day the Heller property will move beyond the poor step-child of UCCS into the little piece of paradise that it is.  Some day the vision of Dorothy Heller and Gerry for a place where young artists can go to live and grow and be inspired will become a reality.  Long after all of us are dead and gone I think that Gerry will be remembered for the friendship that he developed with Dorothy and for this very important gift to the University.

I don’t have any photographs to include.  But when I close my eyes I can see that Cheshire cat grin on Gerry’s face.  I can see him working the crowd at an opening- the best schmoozer that I have ever known.  Rest easy my friend- your work will go on here by those you inspired.  Although I never got to take you up on that invite to go skiing at Wolf Creek, I’ll take a rain-check for that slope over the rainbow.

David Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment