Saturday, January 17, 2009

From Jim Robischon/Robischon Gallery, Denver -


I met Gerry in my gallery in 1990.  Over the years, I came to find that not only was he really great guy as well as a colleague, but also a comrade in many other ways….Similar to the way that artists connect to one another; Gerry and I related on the gallery director/curator wavelength.  I so enjoyed the tremendous energy that he brought to everything.  His thoughtful exhibition designs deftly expanded on the themes of the shows and his installations brought out wonderful new relationships between the artworks.  He was interested in and respectful of every piece of artwork in the gallery and knew a great deal about the artists and their ideas.  I only saw a fraction of the shows he put up, but each one that I did experience showed his exemplary character as a first rate gallerist and curator. 

Gerry worked hard to build ties between the Springs and Denver.  From my perspective he had some real success in that.  His regular personal appearances at Denver openings were fun and full of positive energy.  He would have a little twinkle in his eye, a slightly mischievous grin and some interesting and relevant factoid to share.  It was never gossip.  Sometimes he would return after the opening to visit the exhibition again at which point our conversations always ran deep and long.  Rarely do I meet people who have his level of knowledge and the ability to apply it.  Gerry really knew his stuff and he was glad to share what he knew which - in and of itself - was refreshing.   


I’m saddened to hear of his troubles at the end.  I wish somehow I could have been there to give him my helping hand.  Still I do honestly feel fortunate to have known and worked with him.  I’ll miss him and will think fondly of him often and my thoughts go out to his family and friends…   

 

Jim Robischon

No comments:

Post a Comment